Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Earthquake - Part 2

Seismograph image from VA Tech- looks good, what does it mean?


I got a phone call from Beth in Robbinsville, at about 1:53 PM. She said she felt an earthquake... and so of course I jumped on facebook and twitter, and lots of people were reporting it. The shaking went on for about 15 seconds at her house. Of course --- I didn't feel a thing! But Beth said her walls were shaking and she was wavering where she stood. Detroit, Indianapolis, Boston, Toronto - they're all saying they felt it! And now I'm hearing that they evacuated public buildings like the Capitol.

Cell service is being disrupted - probably only because of everyone blowing up their phones to talk to their friends :)

I hear that air traffic is being disrupted, as air traffic towers are being evacuated and runways must be inspected... although really, I think they are just being overly cautious!

The most updated information on the USGS.gov website:

Magnitude 5.8  on  2011/08/23 at 17:51:04 (UTC)
Latitude 37.936  Longitude -77.933
Depth 6.0 km
located 8 km ( 5 mi) SSW of Mineral, VA

No injuries or damage as far as I've heard.

I heard somewhere that it was the largest quake in Virginia since 1897!

No comments:

Post a Comment