Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I've got so much to learn about finances!

So, I am still continuing my quest to learn about finances and the economy and all that stuff.
And I find that the more I learn, the more I need to learn.  I am SO clueless.
www.medicaresupplementalinsurance.com

 I guess that shouldn't be a surprise.

I've been talking to my Mom and Dad, who are retired, and I've realized that I have no understanding of what kind of things I need to prepare for retirement.  It seems like it's SOOO far in the future.  But it's really not; time flies so quickly.  And I'm certainly not going to be able to learn it all at once, right?  So I want to start understanding it now, a little at a time.

Today Mom and I talked about health insurance stuff, and I learned a little bit about Medicare and insurance.
You might already know all this; but if you are not of retirement age, maybe you don't understand it yet either.

For example... do you know the difference between Medicare and Medicaid?  I didn't, until I started looking it up.  Medicare is a federal program that you apply for at the local Social Security Office, and it is for people who are either 65 and over, or for people who are permanently disabled  and can't work.   Medicaid, on the other hand, is a state program for low-income people who qualify.

There's different parts of Medicare coverage; you can learn a lot about it by clicking on this link to the Open Enrollment center.  There is Medicare part A, which is Hospital Insurance, and there is Medicare part B, which is Medical Coverage - for Doctors and things.  And there's a Medicare part D, which is for prescription drugs.  The medicare covers about 80% of the bills; and then there is Medicare Supplemental Coverage, also known as Medicare Gap Coverage, which covers the stuff that Medicare doesn't cover.  I plan on trying to learn more about this Medicare Supplement Insurance soon, by checking out the website www.medicaresupplementalinsurance.com  and the government medicare websites.

In the meantime, I'm talking to my Mom and Dad, to try to learn from their experience.





No comments:

Post a Comment