Monday, April 12, 2010

Allergy Alert!

I don't have to tell you that the allergies are getting bad out there, do I?
Pretty much everyone around here is sniffing and sneezing. If you want to check the allergy forecast, they have that information on the Weather Channel, which you can link to HERE.

In case you aren't sure what allergies you are suffering from, right now, it's tree pollen.  It's making me crazy!

So many people are getting allergies that never had them before.  I've had allergies my whole life, so these are my suggestions for you:

1.  Shower before bed.  Sure, you can shower when you wake up, too, but pollen is in your hair and on your skin, and you'll feel better if you wash it off before you fall asleep. 

2.  If you have a dog, you might want to think about washing him, too.  Pollen is sticky, from what I hear, and it attaches itself to hair... or fur, I would think... and if you don't wash it off, it's going to make you miserable when you pet your puppy.

3.  Take allergy medicine.  You're going to need to talk to your doctor about that.  I personally take over the counter stuff, but I know what I need.  Find out from your doctor what exactly YOU need.

4.If your doctor says you can take the over the counter allergy medicine, ask him or her about taking the store brands.  I take the Shop Rite brand of allergy pills, and it's WAY cheaper. Yesterday, I brought the Target brand.  Pretty much every store has their own.  As long as it's the right ingredient, it doesn't have to be the name brand.


5.  Stay inside with the windows closed and the air conditioner on, at least until the worst of the pollen goes away.  You might feel silly, but it will definitely keep the quality of air in your house much cleaner, and make your allergies better.  Now is NOT a good time to start jogging.  Windy days are the worst.  But rainy days are actually not too bad.

6.  Don't rub your eyes!  That's always hard for me, because my eyes are so itchy.  But if your eyes are driving you crazy, get a nice cold wet wash cloth and just lay down for a while.

7.  Have a nice cup of tea.  That always makes me feel better, and I certainly don't think it can hurt! 

Feel better!

No comments:

Post a Comment