Saturday, September 24, 2011

Review of Pearl Jam 20 - the Movie
Available on Comcast ON DEMAND NOW!

Pearl Jam is celebrating their 20th anniversary making music, and so they've come out with a movie documenting the band's history. A Cameron Crowe film, It's an enormous collection of 119 minutes of new (and old) footage and images and music. It came out in a few theaters across the country last week, and it is enjoying a very limited run in theaters. I suppose most people will ignore it, and die-hard Pearl Jam fans will buy the DVD. Plus it will be on PBS in October. But for those of you with Comcast Cable like me, you can get it for $6.99 RIGHT NOW through OnDemand!!! And, well, yeah, I'm buying the DVD too... are you surprised? Not if you know me!


Watch the full episode. See more American Masters.


(If you can't see the video preview above, click HERE!) 

It's hard for me to give a review of this movie as though I was a disinterested critic, since I'm a big fan. I read one review that said that it would have been better if Cameron Crowe played a journalist instead of a fanboy, or something like that. BUT... I am a big fan. So I loved it. I believe that if you are interested in music in general, you should enjoy learning about the history of this legendary Rock band. If you hate Pearl Jam, I'm sure it will leave you cold.

AS a big fan, I loved the opportunity to learn more about the band in general; even things I knew already were put more in context. And because so much of the old footage is candid, you have a chance to learn a lot more about the band members. I found myself laughing a lot more than I expected to. And I know I'm going to need to watch it a few times to really see all of the dimensions of the film.

So, it's a gray weekend; not exactly raining right this minute, but definitely a good day to sit inside. If you're even vaguely interested in Pearl Jam, you might as well invest the $6.99 and 2 hours and enjoy the afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment