Friday, September 30, 2011

Basic Politics ... for everyone in Iselin


Politics.  eek.
I like to live in my happy little world, and I hate arguments. On the other hand, I do like debates and discussions, if they are civil, and I am always willing to listen to other points of view. But I am usually on the unpopular side of any discussion. So I avoid much politics here on the Iselin Times. I want this blog to be a unifying force, not something that will create more reasons for people to dislike each other.

Well this article is all about politics. Because it's really confusing - at least, it's confusing to me. And I don't think I'm the only one. So here is some of the details about politics in Iselin. I don't think I'm putting up any information that is "opinion", I'm trying to stick strictly to "fact", so I don't think it's debatable. I tried to research this stuff really carefully, but, I COULD be wrong about something. Because like I said - I get confused by some of this. PLEASE comment me and tell me I'm not the only one who gets confused! And, even more importantly, if you see something wrong, please let me know right away so I can correct myself!

Election day will be November 8th.

Why, then, am I writing this information so early?

Because if you aren't registered to vote, you need to do that 21 days before the election, which is October 18th.
ARE YOU REGISTERED? If not, you can get all the information about how to do that by going HERE! So simple! Just make sure the form is in by October 18th!!!

I don't really care what side you are on. Everyone who is eligible to vote should do so. It's your right and responsibility. People in other countries FIGHT for this right.

What are the requirements to be eligible to vote?
You must be 18 by the date of the election,
a Citizen of the USA,
a resident of your municipality for at least 30 days before the election,
and you must not be a felon, in jail, or on parole.

Do you know where to go to vote? Where is your "polling place"?
Ha, I've got another great link for you! If you go HERE, you'll find out where you are supposed to go to vote, and you will also find out what Ward, District, Congressional District, and Legislative District you live in. And yeah, that can be really confusing, because the political map isn't carved up as simply as you would think it should be. (I know they have their reasons, but it adds to the confusion.)

And what if you aren't going to be home, or for whatever reason you can't get to your polling place on November 8th? Well, in that case you should look into a Mail-in Ballot! The fact is, you can vote by mail, and you don't even really need a good reason. They want it to be easy. And yes, I've got a link for information on that, too! That link is HERE :)

WHO ARE OUR REPRESENTATIVES?

Our President is US President Barack Obama. 
(The Presidential Election will be held Tuesday, November 6th, 2012. 
The Presidential Primary in New Jersey will be held in June 2012; this is when the parties will decide on their candidates.)


US Congressional District 7, and is represented Congressman Leonard Lance (R).
(He would be up for re-election in 2012.)


Our United States Senators are Senator Frank R. Lautenberg (D)
(He is currently the oldest US Senator.  His re-election bid would come in 2014.)

and Senator Robert Menendez (D).
(He was elected to his six-year term in 2006.)

Our Governor is New Jersey Governor Chris Christie (R).
(He keeps saying he is NOT going to run for Republican Candidate for President.  Everyone keeps talking about it and trying to figure out if he really means it.  We'll have to see.)


Our State Senate and State House District is District 19.  NJ District 19 includes Carteret, Perth Amboy, Sayreville, South Amboy, and Woodbridge Township.
District 19 is represented by State Assemblyman Craig J. Coughlin (D) and State Assemblyman John S. Wisniewski (D).
(They will be running against Angel J. Leon (R) and Shane Robinson (R).)

We are also represented in Trenton by State Senator Joseph Vitale (D).
(He will be running against Paul Lund (R).)


Our Mayor is Mayor John E. McCormac (D) 
(He will be running against Christopher Struben (R).)

And our Woodbridge Town Council:
James Major -- Councilman Fourth Ward (Yay! That's my Ward in Iselin!)
James V. Carroll -- Councilman-at-Large
Gregg M. Ficarra--  Councilman-at-Large
Kyle Anderson -- Councilman-at-Large (He's from Iselin!)
Brenda Yori Velasco --  Councilwoman-at-Large
Charles Kenny -- Councilman-First Ward
Richard A. Dalina -- Councilman-Second Ward
Michele Charmello -- Councilwoman – Third Ward
Robert G. Luban -- Councilman-Fifth Ward



("McCormac is running for reelection with at-large council members James Carroll, Gregg Ficarra, and Brenda Yori Velasco. Kyle Anderson, who was appointed to his at-large seat, is also running for a first time election, as is Michele Charmello, who was appointed to represent the third ward....(They are running against ) ...Christopher Struben, along with his council at-large candidates Eduardo Ascolese, Walter Kaczmarek, Jr., and Debra Reinhart..." )-- Jason Cohen, Woodbridge Patch article HERE and 

("On the WTRO side, there are Susan Boros and Peter Kothari.)
-- from the comments on the same article in the Woodbridge Patch, by Tom Maras.
Hmm.  I think I got everyone.  And I think it's all accurate.  
Let me know if I missed someone or something! 




No comments:

Post a Comment