Friday, July 23, 2010

Working On the Tracks

I know everyone's probably seen the work that's being done around the train tracks.
This is a picture I took along the MET - the Middlesex-Essex Turnpike, down behind where Flips used to be.
I used to love driving down that street, because the shade trees were so pretty along there.
What do you think about the railroad taking out these trees? Are you for it, or against it?
I hate to see trees being cut down, because it just happens way too often. I love trees. We're lucky to have a lot of trees in Iselin, because of the park and the brook. I know trees play a big part in keeping an area cool -- the shade and everything, you know -- and I want our area to have MORE trees, not less.

BUT, on the other hand, the tracks are the Northeast Corridor. It's a REALLY busy and vital transportation route. And if, as we hear, there are going to be more and bigger storms (due to climate change, probably at least partially because we are cutting down so many trees in the world) then I can just imagine more trees falling and disrupting service.

So... my own opinion? It looks uglier, but we'll get used to it. I think they are being more efficient. And maybe we can plant more trees somewhere else, where they are more appropriate?

What's your opinion? Leave me a comment! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment