Thursday, July 1, 2010

A New York Times Article
that is pissing people off!

Did you read this article?
You should. Although it's about Edison, it's also about Iselin.
My Own Private India
The article is VERY insensitive and politically incorrect. It's also pretty funny... and I don't think Joel Stein, the author, really meant to be seen as mean. I think he meant to be seen as... well, funny? Cool? Way cooler than me, that's for sure.
It's satire, of course. But comedy which hits too close to home is very painful. That's probably true on both sides of the story, for white people and for brown people.

My own opinion? I like my town. I like the mix of people who live here. Like most people, I have a hard time with change, and I don't like feeling left out. I think that most of the white people who complain about Indian people moving in to our town are feeling stress about those two things: things change, and they are no longer part of the "in" crowd. Hey, I was NEVER part of the "in" crowd, so it doesn't bother me. My new neighbors are lovely, family-oriented, decent people, and that's all I need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment