Sunday, January 30, 2011

What to Do?

No football today, and with another storm coming, 
I'm pretty sure that EVERYONE wants to get out of the house
so they don't go cabin-crazy next week. How 'bout going to dinner and a movie?
We went to see True Grit.  I really liked it, but it had a strange ending.  But never mind the movie, the real interesting part was the theater itself.

The Loews Theater at Menlo Park Mall is all renovated, 
and it's got a whole new program.  And a liquor license.  
So you can get there early and hang out in the bar while you wait for your movie to begin. 
(I guess they are trying to discourage the kids from hanging out in the movie theater. 
It feels like a much more adult evening.)
 The movies cost way more than they used to.  
It's NOT a cheap date.
You are paying $10 each for your movie ticket, 
and another $10 or $15 each for the "experience" charge, 
which goes towards your food bill.

It's a good idea to order your tickets on line first.  We didn't, we waited until we got to the theater.  
In the lobby, where the ticket office used to be, there are computer terminals to order your tickets and,
at the same time, pick your seat.  I liked that idea.
The whole thing reminded us a lot of an airport; getting our boarding pass, then sitting in the bar, waiting to board (the movie); checking the time constantly so we don't miss our flight (show);
watching busy people streaming in and out.  
When we got into the theater itself, looking for our gate (theater.) 
The seats were way more roomy than an airliner, and we had plenty of leg room, but there was still a little tray table - it slid over from the arm instead of coming down from the seat in front of you. There is a little button to call the stewardess (waitress) when you want something. And the food? Well, I only got a piece of cake. It was certainly better than airplane food. But it wasn't the greatest cake I ever had.

I would say I'd try more real food next time, 
but really I didn't feel like eating while I watched the movie, and I don't expect that to change.

But it was nice having a drink. 
I can imagine drinking a cosmo during the next "Sex in the City" movie, or something like that. 
Other than that, I'd probably stick with popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment