Sunday, January 16, 2011

Iselin Cub Scout Pack 148
Pinewood Derby

Iselin Cub Scout Pack 148 is still going strong, and yesterday they held their Pinewood Derby!
Cub Scout Eddie is congratulated on a great Pinewood Derby car by American Legion Commander John Canova and Frank Kemper, the Legion's Cub Scout Charter Representative.
The Pinewood Derby is held by Cub Scout Packs all across the country.  Cub Scouts are given a "kit" for a car - basically, it's a block of wood, four nails and four plastic wheels - and they are asked to make a car, which they then race against other members of their pack.  Eddie, pictured, made his car himself, and won a ribbon for his efforts.  This will be Eddie's last Pinewood Derby; soon, he'll be graduating into Boy Scouts.

Cub Scout Pack 148 is chartered by the T. Nulty Post 471 of the American Legion.

Wow, I miss those days! I'm getting old, aren't I, thinking about the "good old days" when my weeks flew by because I went from one activity to another activity with my boys! I had so much fun... January every year for maybe 7 years in a row, we looked forward to that one big Saturday, racing the cars they had crafted so carefully.

Here are some more cars. Thank you to my friend Cheryl, Eddie's mom, a resident of Iselin and also a Scouter, for letting me use her photos!

2 comments: