Thursday, January 27, 2011

Shoveling Out AGAIN

I've got more great photos of today's snow in Iselin!
(Although I'm really looking forward to more great photos of the beautiful FLOWERS already!!!)

I got up at the crack of dawn.  No school - Honeywell, the automatic alert system for the school, let us know last night.  So I could have slept late.  But everyone else in my family needed to get out to work, so we were up early, shoveling.  And so was everyone else in town, I think.

From right, Bill Klingaman, Head Custodian at Robert Mascenik School, and Ed Wagner, Night Custodian
The first call from Honeywell last night said delayed opening, but the way the snow was coming down, there was no WAY that the school system could have been up and running. The second call said no school at all.  It's a good thing - even though the High School students were supposed to have finals - because it is a LOT of snow to clear.  Not to mention that the side streets are still a mess.

On a snow day, school custodians don't get to stay home.  They have to work even harder.   When I looked out the window as the sun was coming up, the custodians were already there working on clearing the whole mess away.  No snow days for custodians.  As an ex-employee of the school district, I know how hard they work, and the sacrifice they had to make just to keep their jobs.  So I made them pose for me.    If you see a custodian, say THANK YOU!!

The Robert Mascenik Elementary is all shoveled - NOT an easy job!

It's such a beautiful view looking down towards the brook
The school might be cleared, but the side streets are still a mess!

**Update** - It's after 4:00, and I was just outside and saw plows STILL working on the side streets! The cars in the way make it way more difficult. That's another hardworking bunch of people, the plow guys!

Everyone in town is shoveling out. 

I'm going to have to remember these photos when it's 100 degrees in July!

No comments:

Post a Comment