Saturday, February 5, 2011



It's a nasty cold day in February, which to me means it's time to start thinking about the garden!

I think gardening is way more fun in February than in July.  Because in July, it's TOO HOT to go outside and garden, and you sit inside in the air conditioning and feel guilty for not pulling weeds or something.  But in February, you can't do anything but plan and day dream, maybe start some seeds if you have a good window sill or a grow light.



 This year, I'm refining the plan from last year's garden.  Things got WAY too out of control.  I had plants EVERYWHERE, stringbeans hanging down that I couldn't even get to.  This year, I'm going to try a different variety of tomato.  It's gonna be GREAT.

I'm going to order some more heirloom seeds from the Victory Seed Company    - Click HERE for the link -   so I can get started.  I really like using heirloom seeds - they are old fashioned seeds that have been passed down from generation to generation, and not genetically modified or anything like that.  You can plant the seeds, and when you harvest the plants, you can save seeds from your harvest, and you don't have to buy them again the following year.  I ordered a whole lot last year, and I liked them all, and saved a bunch of seeds for this year.  All I need is that new tomato.  Although every time I read a garden catalog, I get greedy, and buy too much.

I'm thinking about putting more plants in huge pots on my patio. 

The following is from the VICTORY SEED COMPANY's web site, and it's the reason I'm into heirloom seeds, in case you were wondering:

Our Mission
Why Support the Victory Seed Company?
The primary reason for our existence as an organization is to help protect open-pollinated and heirloom seed varieties during a time when the diversity of plant life on our planet is quickly shrinking.
Regions of the planet that provided much of the genetic material for our domesticated crop plants is rapidly being destroyed or irreversibly damaged.  Additionally, in the past few years there has been a growing trend of mergers and consolidations among the seed industry.  With responsibility to shareholders as a motive, less profitable and similar seed varieties are being dropped from the seed lines of the combined companies.  In many cases, these plants are forever lost to us all.
As we witness the elimination of old varieties from other company's offerings, the emphasis of commercial unstable hybrids, and the proliferation of genetically modified organisms (GMOs), we feel an urgency in our mission.
We have therefore dedicated our efforts to preserving and promoting the use of open-pollinated varieties -- old commercial releases as well as family heirlooms -- and working towards the protection of our genetically diverse horticultural heritage.  We truly believe in teaching these principals to all who have ears to learn.
 
(and NO, the Victory Seed Company isn't paying me anything for this publicity. I just felt like thinking about my gardening. That's it.) 


Anyway, C'mon, Spring! :)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment