Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day Trip: Asbury Park

Iselin is in a great spot - close to some great cities, near some lovely beaches and forests. There is plenty of things going on within a short distance. So, if you want to take a day trip, where would you like to go?

I know it isn't summer yet, but why not hit the boardwalk in the off season? We went to Asbury Park yesterday and had a GREAT time.
 

When was the last time you went to Asbury Park? It's probably been ages, if you've been there at all, right? Well, there is a lot going on down there now.
Click here for the Asbury Park Boardwalk website,

or here for the official City of Asbury Park website.

There are some very decent restaurants and clubs, and artsy and antique stores right next to picturesque ruins. Half the people that you see wandering around down on the boardwalk have a camera because the place is just so darn photogenic!

ON a cold, damp day like today, if I were you, I'd concentrate on the shops. My favorites include a place selling pottery, a place to rent bikes, a museum where you can play old school pinball from the '50's, '60's and '70's (Hey - I'll tell you more about that one pretty soon!), and a hands-on craft place where YOU can blow your own glass!





Did you ever watch someone blowing glass and wish that you could try it? Well, at the Hot Sand Glassblowing Studio on the boardwalk at Asbury Park, you can! It's a hot activity for a cold spring day. I tried it out and blew a beautiful bubble to hang in my dining room window. The artist works with you step by step so that you don't mess up - and the glass is so hot, I must admit that I was a little nervous! But the artist's guidance was excellent, and I am really proud of my finished product.

(I even made a video of the bubble I blew last year... wanna see?)



If you plan on visiting the Hot Sand Glassblowing Studio, you might want to check out their website first, which you can find by clicking here.

 

Hot Sand is located next to "Madame Marie's" ... you know, the fortune teller from the Springsteen song?... I know, the real Madame Marie passed away, but this is the place, anyway. Just one more cool thing about Asbury Park.

Have fun!



Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment